Saturday 26 January 2013

EcoTools 6 Piece Eye Brush Set Review


EcoTools makeup brushes are one of the softest brushes I have come across (much softer than sigma). Made from synthetic haired bristles which makes it cruelty fee, ferrules are made from recycled aluminum and bamboo handles.






Because the brushes bristles are made from synthetic hairs they can be used for cream, liquid, gel and powder products.








Brush Run Down: 






Blend Brush: This brush is like an oversized basic laying down eye brush with a pointed tip, but it is fluffy, not so much that it loses it shape but fluffy enough you can blend out harsh lines with it. I actually really love this brush, I use it all the time, my main use is I use it to set my under eye concealer, because it's on the bigger side it works great to cover a large area to set the concealer and because I like to pat my powder to set my concealer rather than swipe, this brush is perfect. It is fluffy and a little dense so you can use it to blend out colours a bit and it's great for highlighting your brow bone. Plus this brush is so soft like all the others in the set.


My Recommended Uses:
Setting concealer, highlighting the brow bone, blending out harsh eyeshadow lines, soft blending and placing colours in the crease with the tip, applying concealer, placing colours on the lid (not for small eyes)

Pros:
1. Very soft
2. Very versatile
3. Does many jobs well e.g setting concealer, blending etc
4. Slightly dense, so not flimsy
5.  Great quality


Cons:
1. Can't be used by everyone as a lid brush


Rating: 
10 out of 10







Crease Brush: This brush is pretty dense but very soft too. Great for applying colour to the crease and blending it out, wonderful shape for highlighting because of the angle, great for applying concealer, this brush blends really well. This brush again has so many uses and again great quality.

My Recommended Uses: blending out concealer, placing colour or blending out colour in the crease, applying colour to the lid, highlighting the brow bone, contouring your nose, highlighting your cupid's bow or top of your cheek bones


Pros: 
1. Soft and dense
2. Blends good
3. Versatile
4. Good size (not too small or big)
5. Great quality

Cons:
None!

Rating: 
10 out of 10







Highlight Brush: To me this brush is like a small crease brush, it is so soft, dense with a little bit of fluffiness. Wonderful brush this is, again so, so many uses, placing and blending out colour in the crease, love this for blending concealer under the eyes and blending out colour on the lower lash line. My new, and another one of may favourite uses for this brush is highlighting specifically the inner corner of the eye, it picks up a great amount of colour and blends it out great and is the perfect size and shape. There are too many uses for this brush that I love, dare I say you could do a whole eye look with just this brush, that's right I said it. At first I was a little bummed it wasn't a bit bigger and more fluffy BUT technically it is supposed to be a highlight brush, and I do really love it.


My Recommended Uses:
blending and placing colour in the crease, highlighting - inner corner of the eyes, cupid's bow, brow bone, contouring your nose, blending concealer especially under the eyes, putting colour on your lid, blending colour out on the lash line

Pros:
1. Soft and dense and a little fluffy
2. Good size for people with smaller eyes
3. Versatile
4. Great quality

Cons:
1. It doesn't completely replace a fluffy crease brush


Rating:
10 out of 10






Shade Brush: This is a petite brush that I personally like best for placing and blending colour on the lower lash line (you can also use it for the upper lash line). You can spot conceal with this brush  and highlight small areas like your cupids bow or the inner corner of your eye. It is soft and dense like the other brushes and is not scratchy so it's good for your lash line. I don't use this for a lot, not because it isn't good but I just prefer it for the lash line mostly.

My Recommended Uses: placing and blending on the lash line, small area/ selected area eyeshadow placement, can be used as a lip brush , small area highlighting, spot concealing and small area concealing

Pros:
1. Soft and dense enough
2. Can be used by any eye shape for the lash line 
3. Good quality
4. Blend small areas

Cons:
1. Can be a little small or some eye make-up needs

Rating:
8 out of 10







Smudge Brush: This is a very petite pencil brush, it's really soft, dense but still gives. I basically use this mostly for lash line work because of it's softness it works nice to place colour and blend on the lash line, I do wish it was just a touch bigger but still works great. This brush doesn't have as many uses as the other brushes but still good.

My Recommended Uses: Lash line colour placement and blending, spot concealing, filling in the eyebrows for a more natural look and you could also use this for your lips


Pros: 
1. Soft and not scratchy
2. Blends nicely

Cons:
1. Wish it was a tad bigger

Rating:
8 out of 10



PRICE

RRP: $19.95 AUD
Online: www.iherb.com  $7.22 USD


Of course it is considerably more expensive in Australia than America (surprise surprise), I did get mine at priceline because I was unaware at that time about www.iherb.com  if I had known I would have definitely brought it from www.iherb.com instead. For anyone interested in this I would recommend getting it from www.iherb.com  but not everyone wants to order online so then I would say wait for a special at priceline because they sometimes have 15% off ecotools, not that it's not worth $20 but why pay $20 when you could pay less?
 For anyone's first purchase at www.iherb.com you can use my referral code QUM327 to receive $5 off   an order under $40 or $10 off an order over $40.
If you use my code I do receive a small commission percentage of your orders.





I Recommended for: Beginners; A wonderful little eye kit to start off with, to practice with and once make-up skills are improved, it is still very useful. People in need of synthetic bristle brushes. Fans of other ecotools brushes. Anyone who wants to expand their eye brush set.




My only critic is that I do feel like this eye set isn't complete because I would have loved if ecotools included a fluffy blending brush for the crease, yes they did include a "crease brush" (angled brush) and although I really do love it and it is a wonderful brush I just don't think any eye brush set is complete without a fluffy blending brush. Another brush I think could be used in this kit is a basic laying down colour brush, yes their is a brush like that which is the "blend brush" but it is quite big so some people will not be able to use this brush to pack on eyeshadow onto the lid.
That said I really do love this set, at first when I got the set it really bothered me that those 2 brushes weren't included (keep in mind this was my first eye brush set) so I felt like I was lacking a brush I needed but in all honesty you can totally get away with the "crease brush" for blending or even the "blend brush"  or "highlight brush", I have come to appreciated the set more after letting go of me wanting a fluffy blending brush for this set.

My thoughts summed up


These brushes are such great quality and the more I have used them, the more I love them. I love how these brushes are so versatile  you  have so many different uses for each brush (especially the 3 biggest brushes). They don't take long to dry and the bristles dry great, they don't flare out or loose their shape, they basically look the same as when I first bought them.
BE CAREFUL when washing these brushes though because they are travel size the ferrule is so small, it is easy to accidental get water in it and on the brush so just take care when washing them. That said none of these brushes have ever shed (at least nothing I can remember) and they are easy to clean. Great to travel with or even put in your bag for touch ups. I absolutely recommend this,  I actually have grown to love it more and more. Overall a great little kit that can be put to good use because of the brushes versatility and great quality brushes. If I had to compare it to sigma I would say ecotools are much better quality.

9 comments:

  1. great post! the brushes look really nice and soft!
    cant wait to get my hands on one of these!

    http://twoplicates.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) They are super soft and not scratchy at all!! They're wonderful and I highly recommend them!

      Delete
  2. The little pouch with the brushes is super cute, love how it is so handy :) The only Ecotools brush I've tried is their foundation one which I found was good for liquid foundation (but I now use my Real Techniques Buffing brush). These brushes look a little too large for my eyes though :(

    http://reveriebelle.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the pouch is super handy for travelling especially! I've tried the ecotools foundation brush (the normal "paint brush" one), it was ok paddle foundation brushes tend not to work for my whole face. I've ordered the real techniques buffing brush so i'm excited to try it! :)

      The blend brush is quite big, but the other brushes should be ok unless you have very small eyes with very little lid space.

      Delete
  3. I love the EcoTools brushes. I adore their bronzing brush. I actually use it as my daily powder brush.

    I have one of their eyeshadow brushes, and it is one of my favourite eye brushes of all time. It even is better than ones I've spent $30+ on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually ordered the ecotools bronzer brush, I've been eyeing it for so long I can't wait to get my hands on it !!

      Which eye brush are you talking about, I would love to keep an eye out for it :)

      Delete
  4. Great review!! I've had my eye on these brushes and I'll definitely get them now! :D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you !!! Definitely get it, you wont regret it, they are wonderful :)

      Delete